May 20, 2024

RV Living

On The Road Again With RV Living

RV Forum

We have many new features on our forum, RV-Living forum has information on just about any topic.
Check Out RV Forum Today

Please Re-Register To Access All Our Forums New Features on RV-Living Forum

Post all your RV questions or comments on RV Forum

RV Forum

Compressors compara...

Notifications
Clear all

Compressors comparable to Viair 400p

25 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@MilesAndSmiles)

Within the RV community, particularly on YouTube, you'd think that the only reasonable choice for a 12v air compressor is the Viair 400p. It looks like a great unit, but at $200 (more or less) it aught to be! But how do the alternatives hold up? Harbor Freight has a compressor that has comparable specs for $65. I assume there are others.

All I need to do is re-inflate my Class A tires from time to time (95 PSI), and blow out the water hoses once or twice a year when winterizing.

What's worked for you?

ReplyQuote
(@Ed ke6bnl)

I have a  viair for air bags and air horns on the truck. Fory trailer l carry a C02 bottle with a regulator, works great, I like it better than the compressor 

ReplyQuote
(@Kirk W)

ReplyQuote
(@ewacowboy)

We have the Viair....yes it's expensive, but when I need to top off our 125# 5th wheel tires or the 110# steer tires on the truck nothing works better!  Just thought I'd give our experiences.  Good luck in your search.

ReplyQuote
(@jayco1)

Like most tools you rarely regret buying the best. 

ReplyQuote
(@sundancer268)

I have had cheap 12 volt Air Compressor in the past and they worked great for a short time and then quit when I need them.  I now have the VIAIR 450RV and there is no comparison.  I guess I want something I can depend on when I need it.

Edited November 24 by sundancer268

ReplyQuote
(@TXiceman)

I had two Kobalt 12 volt compressors from Lowe's and both died after a few uses.  Now have a ViAir 400PRV and it is still going over a year later.  You pay your money and take your chances.

Ken

ReplyQuote
(@ALLOY)

I run 2 - 400C Viair in tandem. This way I have a backup an it was cheaper than buying a better compressor like ARB.

https://arbusa.com/air-compressors/portable-air-compressors/

The 400C get really hot when filling our 17" tires to 120PSI. Don't know how long one would last doing it.

ReplyQuote
(@packnrat)

do you have air brakes on your rv?

you can tap into this source for tons of compressed air. even to change out a tire.

if not then one can not go wrong buying the best, ( buy once, cry only once) but if possible add in a 5 gallon supply tank.

Edited November 25 by packnrat

ReplyQuote
(@fly2low)

I have an ARB.  Works great

ReplyQuote
 dmk
(@dmk)

I tried the Harbor Freight one but it didn't work on 22.5 tires and took way longer on the 35's on my JK Wrangler, so I took it back and bought the Viar , way better!

ReplyQuote
(@Carlos)

I have had a Viair 88p for about six years, still going strong.  It is not at all comparable to the 400, but has handled my Jeep tires dozens of times, and the trailer tires a few times.  Probably about $65 at most places.  I added the 6' hose extension for better reach on all tires.

ReplyQuote
(@Ray,IN)

Whatever brand or type you choose to use; remember to buy and use an air filter/dryer on the pressure hose. This is more critical on a small tank compressor, as the compressed air doe not have time to cool and condense air before it enters a tire.

I have a 120VAC Fini pancake compressor with built-in regulator, and always use a small air filter when adding air to tires. That moisture is what causes unusual tire pressure rise at interstate speeds.

ReplyQuote
(@Carlos)

I've never used a filter on the portable and have never noticed any change between its air and the very filtered air I have in my home shop.  I refill the Jeep tires pretty regularly since it's off road a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@Ray,IN)

On 12/13/2019 at 5:00 AM, Carlos said:

I've never used a filter on the portable and have never noticed any change between its air and the very filtered air I have in my home shop.  I refill the Jeep tires pretty regularly since it's off road a lot.

That is your decision, I just presented the facts as I understand them. You will not notice water in compressed air until it condenses, that happens when compressed air(it heats when compressed) temperature  declines to ambient air temperature.

If you are in the SW it is not usually a concern.

Edited December 12 by Ray,IN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: