May 20, 2024

RV Living

On The Road Again With RV Living

RV Forum

We have many new features on our forum, RV-Living forum has information on just about any topic.
Check Out RV Forum Today

Please Re-Register To Access All Our Forums New Features on RV-Living Forum

Post all your RV questions or comments on RV Forum

RV Forum

Can I really full t...

Notifications
Clear all

Can I really full time on $2,000 a month

25 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@Larry)

Hello to All!  Just signed up to Escapees and this is my first post.  Looking forward to learning from all the experts on here.

I would really like to retire in 5 years at 65.  I could work until 66 1/2 and get my full retirement.  I have been researching full timing in an RV for about a year now. I really like the idea of having the capability of being able to move around. I am thinking that I won't "travel" that much but rather find a location and stay a month or two then go to the next location. Will definitely follow the warmth for winters. I lived in Florida for 6 years so leaning on going back during the winter months but that's not a definite, can look at other warm locations.  I now live in upstate NY as of earlier this year due to a job transfer.  I just can't decide in what or if I can really afford to do it.

Here is what I am thinking at this point in time:  Buying a used class a gas motor home, in the 35' range. My current vehicle is towable on a dolly. I really don't want to buy a big truck to pull something. I realize that with a truck and either a travel trailer or 5th wheel there would only be 1 motor, transmission etc. for repairs.  I am by myself.

Here is some other info on me:
1) Will be debt free at retirement. This includes having either a toad or tow vehicle paid off by then and will pay cash for whatever RV I decide to get.
2) Looking at spending up to $40,000 on the used motor home.
3) Will have approximately $2,000.00 a month for social security coming in.
4) Will have approximately an additional $25,000.00 in savings after purchasing the RV.
5) I am NOT handy repairing anything mechanical ie; engines.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it bad for a motor home to sit for a month or two? 
2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now. I don't want to get into it only to discover in a year or so I can't afford it.

Thank you for all your expertise advise in advance. 

Edited December 24, 2017 by Larry

ReplyQuote
(@trailertraveler)

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

If you have not read it, this topic has a lot of information that may be relevant to your situation and questions. What you spend now for food and other essentials may not change a lot without a concerted effort to change your personal habitats. Costs for items like phone, internet and TV service are controllable but may require different services than what you have now. Camping fees are controllable and have a wide range from zero up to more than several hundred dollars a month depending on location and the amenities provided. Fuel costs are controllable, but in my experience it is rather difficult to actually travel and see the country in an RV without fuel. In my opinion, only you can determine whether you will be satisfied with the lifestyle that you choose to stay within your means. 

One question. Is the $2000/month from Social Security after or before any Medicare Part B, D, etc. or Medicare supplement payments. My impression is that most on this forum seem to agree that the Medicare Advantage Plans are not very well suited to fulltime RVers that move around.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

Edited December 24, 2017 by trailertraveler

ReplyQuote
(@Barbaraok)

Is there some way to get it to $3K a month - for one person that should be a very doable amount.   And in 5 years, who knows what will be needed.  Just try to get the amount up, whether by work camping, etc., so that you have a cushion.  Repairs can quickly add up and it isn't IF you will need repairs, but WHEN.

ReplyQuote
(@Larry)

To Barbaraok:  SSI is based on your income.  I am sure my income will go up a little but not enough to get it to $3,000 a month.   Are you saying it is possible on the $2,000 a month or $3,000?  The $3,000 would obviously be better.

ReplyQuote
(@Pat & Pete)

On 12/24/2017 at 11:56 PM, Larry said:

To Barbaraok:  SSI is based on your income.  I am sure my income will go up a little but not enough to get it to $3,000 a month.   Are you saying it is possible on the $2,000 a month or $3,000?  The $3,000 would obviously be better.

Everything changes , always ... let alone in 5 years time .

Currently , with just a little foresight / planning , 2 grand a month is doable . Specially for a single man with a 25 grand cushion and no 'payments' . 

ReplyQuote
(@Carolaow)

Another solo traveler here.  In my opinion, $2K is easy to meet with some left over if you camp host or workamp at least part of the year.  The biggest line item in my budget is nightly camping fees, but they fall to a big fat zero when working at the campground.  This also works well for someone who likes to stay a couple of months at a spot then move along.  Another benefit is you get to really know the campground and the area where you are working and you will have time and opportunities to forge new friendships.  Right now I am averaging 7 months workamping and the rest traveling between jobs or just traveling for the heck of it.  It's a great life--have fun with your plans!

ReplyQuote
(@Cat Lady)

Check out Interstellar Orchard Blog.  Becky is also an Escapees member and posts on Discussions.  Go to the SKPS Magazine to find articles she’s contributed.  Very smart young soloer with good ideas.  She’s also on YouTube.  

ReplyQuote
(@Yarome)

I agree with trailertraveler. You're spending habits won't change dramatically without concerted effort so looking at your current budget on expenditures you will be "taking with you" (ie., food, clothing, entertainment, etc.) should put you in the ballpark.

I also agree that $2k/month is QUITE doable... with your "cushion" in place that is. $2k may not leave you with much of a savings budget on a monthly basis. A good full-timer strategy is to contribute a portion of their monthly in to a "maintanence/repair/replace/incidents" account. Since you already have that set aside you're one step ahead of the game.

Being a solo, one suggestion I might offer is to go with a 4-down toad. Dolly's can be a PITA. Doable, but if it's at all avoidable....

ReplyQuote
(@Larry)

To Yarome:  I may get a vehicle that is towable 4 down if I decide to do this.  It would be purchased now while I am still working so it would be paid off before I retire.  Just want to be fully informed before I make a decision.

ReplyQuote
(@Lou Schneider)

A vehicle that can be towed 4 down is a big advantage, hitching and unhitching is easier than hooking up a tow dolly or trailer and strapping the car to it.  Plus you don't have to worry about finding room to store the trailer or dolly at a campsite.

4 wheel drive is a plus to explore the back country roads and trails.  It doesnt have to be extreme, something like a small SUV with a transfer case that can be put into neutral or a manual transmission can be towed 4 down in most cases.

Fulltiming can be as frugal or expensive as you make it.  You may not be able to afford $50 a night luxury RV sites every night or travel several hundred miles every day, but that's being in vacation mode, not fulltiming. 

There are many ways to stretch the budget without having to camp host or workcamp, unless that's something you'd like to try.  When you get tired of the East Coast, the desert southwest offers (generally) warm temperatures and low cost or free camping during the winter months while the rest of the country is snowed in.  Then follow the weather the rest of the year.  Like you said, stay for a week (or a month) in one spot and get reduced camping rates while you explore the local area.  Don't forget you won't be sightseeing every day, you'll still have to do chores like housekeeping, food shopping and laundry, as well as leave time for other pursuits and hobbies.

Check out cheaprvliving.com and their YouTube videos.  While that style of fulltiming isn't everyone's cup of tea, they show how people are successfully fulltiming on extremely small budgets, some as low as $500 a month.  And no, it's not stealth camping in a city and hoping you won't be rousted in the middle of the night.

Another example are the WINs.  They're a group of singles that are very resourceful at low cost touring.  They find free or low cost places to stay for 4-7 days at a time and explore the local sites before moving on.  More information including details about their current and upcoming circuits are at rvsingles.org 

Edited December 24, 2017 by Lou Schneider

ReplyQuote
(@GR "Scott" Cundiff)

Just keep in mind the occasional expenses that pop up and can easily wreak a tight budget.  This year we bought tires for camper and pickup, had to replace a windshield, had to do some other repairs - one of them a major one.  You may get by for a few years with nothing like this but over time, these budget busters are sure to come.  When they do, a razor thin budget will be blown away overnight.

ReplyQuote
(@Larry)

Thank you for all your responses.  I am also considering a truck and probably a 5th wheel.  If the truck and 5vr is what I decide I would buy the truck now in order to pay it off while I am still working.  With this combination I would only have one motor and transmission to maintain and worry about.

I certainly wouldn't mind being a camp host or workamping to reduce my camping fees.

ReplyQuote
(@markandkim)

At least you'll only have one drivetrain to maintain. I highly suggest this route. 

ReplyQuote
(@Pat & Pete)

On 12/25/2017 at 7:17 AM, markandkim said:

At least you'll only have one drivetrain to maintain. I highly suggest this route. 

Two takes just as little effort . Maybe some folks don't mind not having options . 

ReplyQuote
(@Barbaraok)

Larry,  why not try and see if you can live on $2K a month (excluding mortgage payments).  That will give you an idea of what is needed because your basic style of living won't change.  Maybe a little less eating out than when you are working, but you will be shopping in new areas, so cost for groceries often go up.    We put together a web page on Budget Considerations that might help you identify some things to think about/check out.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: